When I had my twins, as is traditional, a bunch of ward members brought in dinner. You never know what you are going to get when someone brings dinner over to your house, but one meal that did not disappoint was the meal Kristine Kuhni brought in. She was awesome! Not only did she bring in a fantastic dinner, but she totally stayed and rocked babies while my family ate. I can totally picture her still in cooking apron walking around my kitchen holding one twin or the other doing laps around my kitchen while we enjoyed the rarity of a meal without a fussy baby in our arms. After the meal, Derek insisted that I get her recipe. It’s gluten free and the chicken is cooked in coconut oil which I love.
ASIAN CHICKEN STRIPS
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- brown or white rice flour (about 1/2-1 C)
- pure extra virgin coconut oil (maybe 1/4-1/2 C)
- 1/2 C soy sauce
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Pour rice flour in large ziplock bag and cover the chicken strips in flour.
- For the sauce: cook soy sauce, sugar, garlic and ginger in pot for 5 mins until sugar dissolves. Then, add toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
- Pan fry the coated chicken in hot coconut oil, until browned on both sides and cooked through.
- While chicken is still hot, swirl each cooked piece in the sauce, then rest on a plate.
- Serve on rice (we prefer brown) and with some steamed veggies (broccoli, zucchini, carrots all go great).