My favorite soup at Olive Garden is their Zuppa Toscana. My Mom went under the knife today for total knee replacement surgery. In preparation, at her house last night she made this soup in her crock pot and froze a bunch for her husband to enjoy while she is at the hospital the next few days and for her to enjoy without having to worry about cooking when she returns home. I was totally intrigued by the idea of a crock pot version of my favorite Olive Garden soup that cooked all day while I was at work that I decided to try it out for my family tonight. And, they all loved it.
CROCK POT ZUPPA TOSCANA
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3 russet potatoes, unpeeled and sliced into wedges and then thirds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 C chicken broth
- 2 C kale or swiss chard, rinsed and chopped
- 1 C heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Brown the Italian Sausage in bigger clumps in a large skillet over medium-high heat (about 5 mins)
- Combine all ingredients except cream and kale in slow cooker. Cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- Add cream and kale to slow cooker, stir and cook until leaves are wilted and warmed through, 20-30 mins.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.