If there is one thing I can’t stand it’s Velveeta style mac n cheese. YUCK! I also don’t like most mac n cheese sides you can order at restaurants all too much. I discovered this recipe in the early years of our marriage. I just had a hankering to make mac and cheese one night. When I was 13 years old, my Mom gave me my very first cookbook for Christmas. It’s called The Fannie Farmer Cookbook and includes classic American recipes. It stems from the The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book written by Fannie Merritt Farmer in 1896 which taught generations of Americans how to cook. Seemed to me like the perfect place to find a recipe for macaroni and cheese, and I was right. This is the only homemade macaroni and cheese recipe I have ever liked. It just tastes real. I often double this recipe and make it in a 9 x 13 casserole dish, but otherwise it fits in a square casserole dish.
CHEESE SAUCE (2 Cups)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 C milk, heated
- 1 C grated cheddar cheese
- freshly ground pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in heavy-bottomed sauce pan.
- Stir in flour and cook stirring until paste bubbles a bit (about 2 minutes).
- Add hot milk and continue stirring until it thickens.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne and cheese.
- Lower heat and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 1/2 lb macaroni cooked (I usually use whole wheat penne noodles instead)
- 1/2 C grated sharp (or whatever you have) cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C buttered bread crumbs (I usually melt some butter and stir in plain breadcrumbs and brown in a frying pan just a teeny bit)
- 2 C cheese sauce
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish (or whatever size you are making it in).
- Put cooked macaroni in the casserole dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over it and mix with a fork.
- Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over top (sometimes I use a little more than is called for to just make sure I get a good even layer on top- I figure more cheese is always better in these things).
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the cheese.
- Bake uncovered until top is golden and sauce is bubbling (30 mins).