Yesterday, we went to Costco and I decided the easiest thing to do for dinner was to pick up one of their Rotisserie chickens. After everyone had eaten their fill, I still had half a chicken left, so I pulled all the left over meat off the bone and vowed to use it in a soup or something the next day (that was today). I have this tortilla chicken soup recipe that my Grams gave me that I love that the chicken would have been perfect in, but Derek is still on this low carb diet kick. Some searching online and I found a very similar recipe to my Grams tortilla chicken soup but without the tortillas called Chicken and Lime Soup. Viola! I changed it a bit and threw in my left over rotisserie chicken rather than the 3/4 lb of chicken breast (that was supposed to be simmered in the soup for an hour and then shredded), and it was so good (and carb free) and done in less than 30 minutes! In fact, I think I like this variation even more than my Grams Tortilla Soup.
CHICKEN AND LIME SOUP
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced (plus their leaves chopped up and added to the pot)
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- your rotisseries chicken left overs (I had about 2 C chopped up) or 3/4 lb chicken breast
- 6 C chicken broth (I use water and better than bullion base)
- 1 can 14.5 oz fired roasted diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 medium lime
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- Cook the onion, celery, jalapeno, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, canned tomatoes with chiles, chopped celery leaves, oregano, and cumin to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for just a few minutes (or an hour if using raw chicken then after an hour remove chicken, shred with two forks and return meat to the pot).
- Squeeze the juice of one lime into the soup, add the chopped cilantro. Stir and serve. Add diced fresh avocado to each bowl if desired.
- Serve with grated cheese and tortilla chips.