Super bowl Sunday! Our good friend invited us over for his trager smoked brisket and to watch the game. I know he loved mozzarella sticks, so I volunteered to bring some (even though I have never made them before and generally avoid all fried food because me and hot oil don’t mix well). I found a recipe online and only tweaked it just a tiny bit, and I think they turned out great.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 C water
- 1 1/2 C Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2/3 C flour
- 1/3 C corn starch
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- 1 (16 oz) package mozzarella cheese sticks (aka string cheese), frozen and then cut in half to make two shorter cheese sticks.
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs and water.
- Mix the bread crumbs and garlic salt in a medium bowl. In a medium bowl, blend the flour and cornstarch.
- In a larger, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 365 degrees (if you are smart like that or just until looks hot if you are me).
- One at a time coat each mozzarella stick in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs and finally into the oil. Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and drain on paper towel.
*I read all the comments on this recipe and multiple people suggested freezing the mozzarella sticks first to avoid a melted mess, so people recommended breading them all and then freezing them all for 30 minutes or so before frying. I felt like the coating was hard to get to stick to the frozen mozzarella sticks, some of them I just repeated the coating process twice and double coated that seemed to work fine.