I have to give credit to Lily Darais for introducing me to this salad too. One night I invited her family to join us at our place for dinner. She offered to bring a salad. And I have to be honest, when she came over my house with all the ingredients to make her salad and I saw that it was going to be mostly just straight kale, I was a little leery. I mean I like kale particularly cooked in stuff or mixed in with other greens in a salad, but straight kale has a strong taste, and I don’t always love a salad made of all kale. However, Lily always seems to make the best salads that are always just a few simple ingredients but taste great, and this one was no exception. It’s a simple kale salad with homemade croutons and a lemon garlic vinaigrette.
LILY’S KALE SALAD
Ingredients for Salad:
- 1 bunch of kale, washed and broken into pieces
- 1/4 C toasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 C parmesan cheese shredded in thin wide slices
- 2 square Ciabatta loafs cut into cubes (or artisan type bread will work and day old bread may be better than fresh)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
Ingredients for Dressing:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp butter and 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Throw in cubed bread and toss to coat in butter oil mixture. Fry in pan salting as desired until bread starting to brown.
- Remove to paper-towel on top of plate and allow to cool and dry.
- Assemble salad with kale, sunflower seeds, parmesan cheese, and homemade croutons.
- To make dressing: squeeze the juice of one lemon into a pint sized jar, add garlic, then add olive oil until it is one inch above the lemon juice, add salt and pepper to taste and shake. Then, pour over salad.