This is a recipe I found in my Betty Crocker Cookbook back in the early years of marriage. It’s so simple and can honestly be made in the same amount of time that you were spend making one of those box of rices, so I often opt for this. Tonight, I was making enchiladas and this was the perfect accompaniment.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 C uncooked regular long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 C)
- 2 1/2 C water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (1/2 C)
- 1 can (80z) tomato sauce
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook rice and onion in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is golden-brown and onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.