I love this cornbread recipe. I found it in my Fannie Farmer Cookbook. It’s pretty simple and can be made in just 30 minutes while my chili is simmering. I have a couple corn bread recipes I like. Actually, I don’t usually like cornbread much at all. It’s often crumbly and sticks to your mouth like glue. This one is a little more cake like and sweeter which always makes it a crowd pleaser.
- 3/4 C yellow corn meal
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1/3 C sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C milk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 Tbsp melted shortening
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease an 8 inch square cake pan.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add milk, egg, shortening and blend well.
- Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown on top.