This is just a simple recipe that I cut off the side of a pasta box because it looked good. It’s pretty quick to throw together and I feel like it’s basically enough that most people would enjoy it. It’s one of those dishes I make when I am making dinner for people and I need to go on the safe side because of picky taste buds. The flavor of the dish is mostly from olive oil that gets infused with onions, garlic, basil, and roasted red peppers.
PENNE WITH CHICKEN AND ROASTED RED PEPPERS
- 13.25 oz whole wheat penne (Tonight I used a 16 oz box and just increased all the ingredients a little. I have also made it with non whole wheat penne which works just fine too if that’s your preference).
- 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1 C sweet onions diced, or regular is fine too
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 oz fresh basil chopped (hmmm I threw in about 1/4 C chopped tonight)
- 1 C grilled and sliced chicken (Tonight, I broiled chicken breasts in my oven with a little balsamic and olive oil dressing…but it doesn’t have to be flavored).
- 1 C roasted red peppers, diced (I usually just buy the jar)
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grill and slice chicken.
- Cook penne according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat: add onions and garlic; cook until onions are transparent (maybe 5 minutes).
- Add basil, chicken, and red peppers.
- Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add chicken broth and hot penne to skillet and toss together until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper as needed.