I’m sure everyone has a zucchini bread recipe for when you find yourself with an abundance of zucchini right? Well, my lovely friend Kassie Davis dropped her kids off to play one day this week, but along with them she dropped off a ginormous zucchini (thanks). So, I added make zucchini bread to my list of things to do for that day. This is my go to recipe. It’s just from my Betty Crocker Cookbook, but I like that it uses all whole wheat flour and tastes great. Not sure I would call this healthy because it also calls for a bunch of sugar, but healthier? In years past when I’ve had way way way too much zucchini, I have even shredded it and frozen it in 3 C increments to be pulled out of the freezer and used to make zucchini bread in the winter months when I almost miss zucchini…almost.
WHOLE WHEAT ZUCCHINI BREAD
- 3 C shredded zucchini
- 1 2/3 C sugar
- 2/3 C veggie oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 C whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 C chopped nuts (optional- I threw in walnuts in one of the loaves)
- Move oven rack to low position so tops of pans are in center of oven.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 2 loafs with shortening.
- Mix zucchini, sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs in mixing bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except nuts.
- Stir in nuts. Divide batter between two bread pans.
- Bake 60 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean (you make want to check it 10 minutes before just to see).
- Cool 10 minutes in pans and then remove.