This is another one of my favorite things to do with garden fresh tomatoes. I honestly made this for dinner tonight and served a little bread and chicken sausage on the side. Not sure Derek thought it was a full meal, but I could totally eat caprese alone as a full meal. I don’t really have a specific recipe for it; I just sort of make it. Nonetheless I will try to describe my method.
- Sliced tomatoes, I prefer my garden fresh heirlooms
- Sliced fresh mozzarella cheese, I suppose regular mozzarella would work in a pinch but the fresh mozzarella is just so much better
- Your best olive oil
- Your best balsamic vinegar
- Basil leaves, I like to leave them whole but you could chop them up and sprinkle over the top as well
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice tomatoes- salt and pepper to taste
- Top each with a mozzarella round- salt and pepper to taste
- Top each with a basil leaf
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top.