I have to attribute this recipe find to my good friend Desiree. And it reminds me that I should probably swap more recipes with her. One day I was up visiting at her place and she said she thought it would be fun to exchange recipes with people whenever they found good ones and then she handed me a couple good recipes she’d discovered lately. This was on of those. It honestly looks like she just cut it from the side of a box. I love it cuz it’s easy and can be thrown together pretty quick. I usually serve it with some chicken sausage on the side for my carnivorous husband who thinks a meal without meat can’t be constituted as dinner.
CREAMY PASTA IN ASPARAGUS SAUCE
- 1 box (12 oz) of pasta they suggest pipette (I used a 1 lb box of whole wheat penne so I 1 1/2 the sauce portion of the recipe)
- 1 lb of asparagus spears, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I usually only do 1/2 lb of asparagus and add in other veggies too for variety today I added mushrooms and zucchini)
- 3 Tb butter
- 3 Tb flour
- 1 C half and half
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp grund nutmeg
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding veggies during last 2 minutes of cook time. Drain reserving 1 C pasta water. Return pasta and asparagus to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour; stir 2 minutes. Whisk in half and half, broth and seasoning. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in lemon zest.
- Add sauce to hot pasta; toss, adding reserved pasta water to desired consistency (I often don’t add any of the pasta water back in, but I suppose it would smooth out the sauce and give more of that asparagus flavor to the sauce).
- Sprinkle with cheese and chopped parsley.