I like this pie dough recipe it seems to work well in the food processor. And I’ve learned the key to flakey pie dough is that everything has to be super cold and you have to dry to handle it as little as possible.
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar, plus 1 additional Tbsp for top
- 1 tsp sugar
- 7 Tbsp chilled vegetable shortening cut into 1/2 inch pieces (then chill in fridge)
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces and frozen for 30 minutes
- 10-12 Tbsp ice cold water
- Process flour, sugar, and salt in food processor until combined, about 5 seconds. Scatter shortening over top and process until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, about 10 seconds. Scatter butter over top and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses. Transfer to bowl.
- Sprinkle 5 Tbsp ice water over flour mixture. With rubber spatula use folding motion to evenly combine water and flour mixture. Sprinkle 5 Tbsp ice water over mixture and continue using folding motion to combine until small portion of dough holds together when squeezed in palm of hand, adding up to 2 Tbsp remaining ice water if necessary. (Dough should feel quite moist.) Turn out dough onto clean, dry counter and gently press together into cohesive ball. Divide dough into 2 even pieces and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap disks tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- To make lattice top roll one disk into 12-inch circle on floured counter top. Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cut into ten 1 1/4 in wide strips with pizza wheel. Freeze strips on sheet until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Roll other disk into 12-inch circle on floured counter. Loosely roll dough around rolling pine and gently unroll into onto 9-inch pie plate, letting excess dough hang over edge. Wrap dough-lined pie plate loosely in plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is firm, about 30 minutes.
- Fill with pie plate with desired filling, then lay 2 longest strips of dough across center of pie perpendicular to each other. Using 3 shortest strips, lay 2 strips across pie parallel to 1 center strip and 2 strips parallel to other venter strip, near edges of pie. Using remaining 4 strips, lay each one across pie parallel and equidistant from center and edge strips.
- Trim overhang to 1/2 inch beyond lip of pie plate. Press edge of bottom crust and lattice strips together and fold under. Crimp dough evenly around edge of pie using your fingers. Using spray bottle, evenly mist lattice with water and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar.