I’ve already raved about how my Gram’s has all the best recipes. This is one of her staples. I feel like she generally always made it for me every time I came to visit because she knew I loved it so much. It really is good and quick and easy to make. I’ve only adapted it just a little bit.
CHICKEN-AVACADO TORTILLA SOUP
- 1/3 C chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 C chicken broth
- 1 can (14 0z) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 0z) diced green chilies
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast, diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Avocado, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- grated cheddar cheese
- lime wedges
- Add onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and pepper to soup pot. Heat over medium heat until spices are fragrant.
- Then add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and green chilies.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, stack the tortillas and slice into 1/8 inch wide strips. Then, add to the boiling soup.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. After, simmering 15 minutes, add the chicken to the soup.
- Return the soup to a boil over high heat. Then, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is white in the center (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the cilantro and salt to taste.
- Garnish with grated cheese, avocado slices, fresh squeezed lime juice, and serve with tortilla chips (my daughter likes to use the chips as her spoon).