Chile Rellenos are usually my favorite thing to order at a Mexican restaurant and these do not disappoint. Plus, they are fairly simple to make. This is another Grams dish. A few years after I got married and was in a cooking rut she shared a few of her fav recipes with me. I really should go through all her recipes and find more. All her stuff is so good. Once I made a gluten free version of these when we were feeding some friends who prefer to eat gluten free. I just swapped out the white flour for brown rice flour and they turned out just the same.
- 1 can of whole green chilies (usually 5 small chiles-can easily 1 1/2 or double this recipe if you want to make more)
- 1 C grated monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 C flour (or rice flour if you want to make them gluten free)
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- Carefully drain the canned chilies. Don’t push to hard because they tear easily.
- Also carefully stuff the green chilies with cheese trying not to tear.
- Roll them to coat in flour.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir salt into the egg yolks.
- Gently fold salted egg yolks into the whites.
- Heat oil in frying pan, enough to cover bottom of frying pan.
- Dip stuffed chilies into the egg mixture to coat and then place in the hot oil (if you double the recipe will probably have to do it in batches)
- Fry until golden on brown, flip and then fry until the other side is golden brown.
- Serve with salsa.