I have a few different banana bread recipes I make. I usually make it with whole wheat flour, but this is by far my best banana bread recipe. Every time I make this banana bread it gets rave reviews. I think it’s the almond extract and the glaze that makes it stand out amongst other recipes. I picked up this recipe during college while I was doing a study abroad in London. I love London…almost everything about it! In fact, I named our dog London in tribute. The only thing that London doesn’t have going for it is the food. Really there is nothing stand out spectacular that I found except maybe their Indian food (that was pretty good).
During my study abroad I stayed at the BYU London center. They had live in cooks that cooked for us every day, so we didn’t really get to do much of our own baking or cooking at all. We did all take shifts helping in the kitchen with prep and clean up. One day, one of the girls convinced the cooks to let her make her banana bread recipe for everyone. It was sooooo good that I got her recipe. Sometimes I will make one of my more hearty whole wheat recipes and just use her glaze on top if I want to try to sacrifice some taste for health benefit.
LONDON BANANA BREAD
- 1 C buttermilk (or 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice and then fill the rest with milk and let stand 10 mins)
- 1/2 C oil
- 1/2 C butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 C sugar
- 3 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (original recipe calls for baking soda, but I think the bread sits up better with baking powder)
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Cream the butter and sugar in mixer.
- Add the eggs and oil.
- Mix the rest of the dry ingredients in separate bowl (flour, salt, baking powder). Then add to mixer.
- Add in the milk.
- Then stir in the vanilla, almond extract, and bananas.
- Pour batter into two bread loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-75 mins until top is brown and toothpick in center comes out clean.
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 C orange juice
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
*Put all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Stir until smooth and bring to boil. Pour over the banana bread when it’s out of the oven.