I lucked out with the best roommates during my college years. We all got a long great and had a ton of fun together. They were truly like sisters to me. To this day, we continue to be the best of friends. After we all got married and lived in our own individual houses, we would get together once a week or every other week for roommate breakfast. Now, life has pulled us in all different directions and all across the country, but whenever 3 or more of us end up in the same place at the same time, we always try to get together for roommate breakfast. I was first introduced to these Chunky Monkey Pancakes by Deb one morning for roommate breakfast. They are essentially chocolate chip banana pancakes with a peanut butter syrup. I was in love after the first bite, and they are now a recurrent staple in my house. The original recipe is from the Our Best Bites website. All their stuff is good, and these definitely adhere to that.
CHUNKY MONKEY PANCAKES
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C buttermilk (or 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar and then fill up to the remaining measured 1 1/2 C of milk–let sit for a little while)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 small-medium ripe bananas
- 1/4 C mini chocolate chip tossed with 2 tsp of flour (or regular chips can be used but maybe chop up a little)
- 1 C maple syrup
- 1/2 C peanut butter
- cooking spray
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt)
- Combine wet ingredients (except bananas).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients string until just moistened.
- Mash bananas with fork and fold into batter.
- Add the chocolate chips that have been tossed with flour and stir into batter.
- For syrup, heat peanut butter in microwave for 30 seconds. Add the maple syrup, whisk to combine. Then, heat in microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Cook on oiled griddle or sprayed with cooking.
*Extra pancakes can be frozen in a single layer and then placed in a ziplock bag and reheated in the microwave later.