In my house if you say the word casserole, Derek pre-determines that he is not at all excited for dinner. He doesn’t like anything that is a conglomeration of ingredients all mixed together and baked in a 9X13 dish (AKA casseroles). Thus, I refer to this dish not a Chili Relleno Casserole, but rather a Chili Relleno Bake because the word “bake” seems to conjure up better feelings for Derek than “casserole” in regards to dinner. I honestly don’t love too many casseroles myself, but I do like this one. It’s a recipe from good ol’ Grams; she has all the best stuff. She grew up in Texas and now lives in Arizona and has a number of Tex-Mex type recipes that I love. I usually make this for dinner, and then I love the left overs for breakfast the next morning. Tonight when Derek was begrudgingly eating it (even though he admits that it is good he still doesn’t like that fact that it is a “casserole”), he stated that it would actually make a terrific breakfast Chili Relleno Casserole if the ground beef was swapped out for sausage. I actually quite agree, and made a mental note to try that some time in the future.
CHILI RELLENO CASSEROLE
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 C chopped onions
- 1 can green chilies and tomatoes (10 oz) (They do make a can with this combination which is what I usually use; however, I didn’t have any on hand tonight so instead I used a small can of diced green chilies (4 oz) and a can of drained diced tomatoes)
- 6 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 7 oz can whole green chilies
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Tobassco or Franks RedHot Sauce to taste
- Brown the ground beef and onions
- In a 11 3/4 x 7 1/2 x 1 1/2 glass oven dish (Don’t particularly know what that is, but I have a casserole type dish that is just a little smaller than a 9x 13 and I use that) layer in this order: 1) Tomatoes and green chilis 2) cheese 3) beef and onions 4) whole green chilies (flayed open along one side, seeded and laid out across the top)
- Beat eggs. Then add milk, flour, salt, and hot pepper sauce. Mix well.
- Pour over the layers
- Bake at 350 until knife in center comes out clean (about 60 mins).